Latest News

• Tabletop Game Night 8.10.17 - Tyrants of the Underdark

This evening we had a blast playing Tyrants of the Underdark, a relatively new game blending some old concepts together. TotU is an area control and deckbuilder game in one and we felt it does both pretty well! Wintertide had the most experience with this one but Moose had also played a number of games. Watch as the noobs battle the experienced in this single game of Tyrants. Who will win? You'll probably never guess...

Read more ...  
  • Tabletop Gameternoon 8.5.17 - Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia

This may very well be the longest episode of Tabletop ever. The game is Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. The players are ready, sword, bow, or ...whatever else, in hand. We're gonna explore this dungeon, kill some bad guys, mess with each other a little bit, and hopefully it will all be over soon for someone. Watch as we do all those things including some late-game clutch play by Grey.

Read more ...  
  • Tabletop Gameternoon 7.29.17 - Catan

This Saturday afternoon's game was Catan (formerly known at Settlers of Catan). Jbot, Cappi, AIMonster, Grey, and Wintertide duke it out for the title of Supreme Leader of the Sheep. Watch as Ore exchanges hands for almost nothing and wood becomes the commodity to control! All of this and even some cussing on this episode of IGC Gamerternoon!

Read more ...  
  • Tabletop Game Night 7.27.17 - Cosmic Encounter

IGC's Random Impact gamer group takes to space for epic battles of the third kind. Six members of the group each pilot a different and mysterious alien race with a unique power. Some of our powers are downright ridiculous too! Watch how this game of serious diplomacy, high-powered hi-jinks, and crazy encounters unfolds right here on IGC Tabletop.

Read more ...

Kiwi's New PC!

More
1 year 5 months ago #1 by Reli Turino
Reli Turino created the topic: Kiwi's New PC!
Kiwi,

These are the components in the new PC I intend to build for you. You can look up any of these descriptions on newegg.com to see them in detail.

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 - Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Dual Front Mounted USB 3.0 Ports, Three Preinstalled Fans: 1 x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1 x Top 140mm Fan, 1 x Rear 120mm Fan

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel® HD Graphics 530

Processor Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper T4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

Motherboard: ASUS H170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15D-16GRR

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-2983-KR 4GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0, 26% Cooler and 36% Quieter Cooling Graphics Card

Optical Disk Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

OS Drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM

Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit

Keyboard/Mouse: CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle (Blue Edition)

Quick Specs:
i7 6700k 4.0 Ghz Skylake Processor (unlocked/Overclockable)
16GB DDR4 RAM
nVidia GeForce 980 Graphics Card (4GB VRAM)
1x 250GB Solid State Drive (OS)
1x 2TB 7200 RPM HDD (Storage Drive)
750 Watt Corsair Power Supply (Modular)

Free Gifts:
The Division (Game)

Total Price, Including Shipping To Me (To Build):
$1,470.79
More
1 year 5 months ago #2 by Grey Jorildyn
Grey Jorildyn replied the topic: Kiwi's New PC!
it's gonna be a banging PC that's for sure. Way better than my rig.
More
1 year 5 months ago #3 by Jmillz024
Jmillz024 replied the topic: Kiwi's New PC!
Im super excited for this to become a reality!!! Thanks so much reli!
More
1 year 5 months ago #4 by Athrin
Athrin replied the topic: Kiwi's New PC!
Suck up!
More
1 year 5 months ago #5 by Reli Turino
Reli Turino replied the topic: Kiwi's New PC!

Jmillz024 wrote: Im super excited for this to become a reality!!! Thanks so much reli!

My pleasure.
More
1 year 5 months ago #6 by CoreContingency
CoreContingency replied the topic: Kiwi's New PC!
Should be solid. I would suggest going for some speedier RAM. The Intel stock 2133 spec is not all that much faster than DDR3, and can hold Skylake back when the system is under heavy load. Swap it out for some 3200MHz DIMMs though and you'll increase the memory bandwidth by about 12GB/sec, almost a 50% increase. You could shell out for 3600, but I feel the gain isn't worth the much higher price.

I've always been partial to Corsair, so I ended up running this kit in my rebuild - www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ORTNI2

Just remember to enable XMP in the BIOS and verify it has set the modules to their specified voltage and off you go! Oh, and flash your bios to the latest revision BEFORE you install Windows. The Z170 had a bit of a rough go out the gate, but they've got it pretty well sorted out now after several revisions.
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #7 by Grey Jorildyn
Grey Jorildyn replied the topic: Kiwi's New PC!
Welcome Kiwi, to the Master Race. Thou hast ascended...

Your benefits package should arrive in the mail between 7-10 business days upon receipt of rig. Please make sure to fill out all warranty cards.

May your frame rates be high, your draw distances far, and your temperatures low.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Grey Jorildyn.
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #8 by CoreContingency
I didn't catch it at first, and I hope it's not to late, but the H170 doesn't actually allow for multiplier based overclocking. That's the realm of the Z170. So basically, there's no point in pairing a K processor with the H170.

It's stupid, but that's how Intel is rolling these days. It's not enough to pay the premium on the cpu, gotta pay the motherboard tax too if you want to overclock.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by CoreContingency.
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #9 by Reli Turino
Reli Turino replied the topic: Kiwi's New PC!

CoreContingency wrote: Should be solid. I would suggest going for some speedier RAM. The Intel stock 2133 spec is not all that much faster than DDR3, and can hold Skylake back when the system is under heavy load. Swap it out for some 3200MHz DIMMs though and you'll increase the memory bandwidth by about 12GB/sec, almost a 50% increase. You could shell out for 3600, but I feel the gain isn't worth the much higher price.

I've always been partial to Corsair, so I ended up running this kit in my rebuild - www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ORTNI2

Just remember to enable XMP in the BIOS and verify it has set the modules to their specified voltage and off you go! Oh, and flash your bios to the latest revision BEFORE you install Windows. The Z170 had a bit of a rough go out the gate, but they've got it pretty well sorted out now after several revisions.

That RAM, as well as being out of the price/budget range I was given, offers very little in terms of performance unless you are using a large portion of the RAM at any given time. The likelihood of using all 16GB of RAM while gaming is very slim, let alone the 32GB you have posted. I can run 2 instances of FFXIV, Hearthstone, Diablo III and Empyrion Galactic Survival at the same time and only use around 12 GB. 32GB is over-kill at this stage for gaming. Nice for other uses; however.

Also, in order to use that frequency of RAM it would also take a different motherboard as that one doesn't support 3200. Being ASUS, that RAM is also not on the "Compatible" list. Lots of people have experienced issues with that particular RAM in ASUS boards. (This is also listed in the Reviews section of your link.)

This system was based around a $1500 budget build with an emphasis on having it be "Upgrade Ready" for graphics in coming years, while still maintaining high processor frequency and enough RAM to play anything out now, or in the near future.

He doesn't plan on over-clocking it at all and I got the parts at a deep corporate discount. No reason not to have it, should he choose to upgrade the board later. Though, I agree - The H170 not allowing Multiplier or BCLK changes is odd. In this instance, it's a non-issue.

I'm actually building the system for him and shipping it to him - so he'll have everything already done for him. All he'll essentially have to do is plug it in, power it on and enjoy it.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Reli Turino.
More
1 year 5 months ago #10 by CoreContingency
Point 1 - Your build is solid, it'll work.

Point 2 - QVL lists are bullshit. They are, at best, a sample of the the hardware available at the time of release. If the vendor didn't have a sample of that kit at the time, then no, it wouldn't make their QVL list. I've got that that Corsair kit running at a stable 4.5 on a Maximus Hero VIII Z170. The reviewer is an idiot, and probably didn't bump up the DRAM voltage to 1.35v as specified, given the number of downvotes he got.

It's all moot though. You're tossing a K processor onto a H170. That is the end of the bill. There is no overclocking here to be done.

Had I built this system, I'd have gone for an Asrock M-ITX Z170 with high speed ram and a liquid cooler. Chassis something along the lines of a M-ITX Asrock m-ITX into a Corsair 250D with a Corsair H60 Liquid cooler. My prerogative though,

Login

Event Calendar

Sat Aug 19 @ 4:00PM - 06:00PM
Random Impact - Pandemic
Fri Aug 25 @ 8:30PM - 10:00PM
Meeting - Officer's Meeting

Servers