Latest News

• Tabletop Afternoon 4.22.17 - Rick and Morty: Total Rickall

I thought we'd never make it back, Morty. For a second there I thought we were gonna be splattered under the heel of a terrible god and be nothing but a shit-stain on the bottom of its foot. Oh wait, we're supposed to play a game this week aren't we? Alright well grab all your guns and make sure Beth is there. And that's how we ended up playing this game.

Read more ...  
  • IGC Podcast #88 - A Publisher Knows Better

One would like to think major publishers do a little research before getting into deals with shady key-sellers but you'd be wrong to believe that. We're covering the G2A-Gearbox partnership news, talking a bit about the Scorpio specs, letting you know what Nintendo's latest silliness smells like, and bringing you an update on The Fatherland. This, some new game debuts, and a listing of the upcoming game releases rounds-out this podcast like it's a real boy.

Read more ...  
  • IGC Podcast #87 - Foolish April

We have now arrived in April. As some game companies try to trick us into thinking they're funny for others it's business as usual. MadCatz declares bankruptcy, Valve is calling in the big guns for some advice, and Blizzard is remastering StarCraft. A ton of games were announced and we'll tell you about them too. We've got that, the usual release schedule round-up and an update on our fantasy draft now that Mass Effect: Andromeda is out. Did I mention we talk about that for half an hour? Well, now I did. Listen to the show for all the info you could ever want. Sort of.

Read more ...  
  • Operation Paladin Is a Go

Ballistic Impact's first official operation has begun and takes us to Chernarus. A former Soviet Bloc state with a recent history plagued by the communist insurgency of the "Chernarussian Movement of the Red Star", known as the Chedakis by the locals. This problem became compounded when the Chedaki insurgents seized a small Chernarussian base, gaining access to heavy military equipment and becoming much more than a simple thorn in the Chernarussian Governments side. The Russian government, seeing this as potential weakness and being emboldened by their seizure of Crimea and unchallenged interventions in the middle east, took this opportunity to launch a lightning quick offensive. Having crushed the Chernarussian military their more advanced equipment, the Russian military occupied the nation and seemingly began preparations for proceeding further into Europe, forcing a response from NATO.

Read more ...

Playstation TV only $39.99 at Gamestop

More
1 year 11 months ago #1 by AIMonster
AIMonster created the topic: Playstation TV only $39.99 at Gamestop
Hey everyone, thought I would post that the Playstation TV is currently being sold for $39.99 at Gamestop which is actually how much a new game at full price costs for Vita. I'd recommend picking it up if you don't own one or a Vita already and meet any of the following:

- Have PS+ or want to buy PS+ and want to add lots of value to it (Like the other systems, PS+ comes with 2 or 3 games for the Vita each month).
- Enjoy JRPGs
- Enjoy Visual Novels
- Want to play Playstation exclusives and either don't have a Playstation console or you want to get a cheaper version (PS4 games run $60 retail while Vita is $40, and some games have simultaneous releases on both systems)
- Remote Play PS4 games when the console is in another room to a TV in another room.
- Can play Japanese imports (doubles the library of potential games)

PS TV is not compatible with all games. Here's a pretty good list.

Here's my top 10 recommendations for PS TV compatible games. I haven't played all of these, but I've heard great things:
Atelier Ayesha Plus (JRPG with deep crafting mechanics) - or any Atelier game really
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma (Fighting Game)
Danganronpa series (Visual Novels)
Demon Gaze (Dungeon RPG)
Dragon's Crown (Action RPG)
Freedom Wars (Monster Hunter Style Game)
Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Dungeon RPG)
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (Fighting Game)
Tales of Hearts R (JRPG)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Visual Novel / Mystery Game / Puzzle / Adventure)
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2 by Grey Jorildyn
Grey Jorildyn replied the topic: Playstation TV only $39.99 at Gamestop
I still fail to see how this is a good deal unless you play anime bullshit games (ie. You). SONY needs to synchronize these games with the vita's library (or the ps3+vita or something that makes fucking sense!) to ease the confusion with this shit. I shouldn't have to go to a website to search to see if the one game I want is compatible with this crap. The price point isn't terrible but isn't there a ridiculous subscription fee on top of the initial buy-in? We talked about this on the podcast a few months back and it really isn't a convincing buy for someone who is any of these three:

1. doesn't play console
2. already owns a ps3/ps4
3. is generally a handheld gamer

Just seems crazy to me. Plus this that "cloud gaming" bs right? Let's be fair, wtf is that shit at this point. We don't even have the internet infrastructure to make this happen correctly. Japan kinda does though and that's probably why the game library is so heavily geared towards JPs and weaboos.

I don't get SONY's angle on this at all. This is the thing you sell instead of playstation not alongside playstation.

Who is this for SONY?!
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Grey Jorildyn.
More
1 year 11 months ago #3 by AIMonster
AIMonster replied the topic: Playstation TV only $39.99 at Gamestop
WTF are you talking about? A subscription fee?

I feel a bit insulted on the anime bullshit games comment too. Some of the best games are "anime bullshit" games IMO, and if you want to be close minded about that, then whatever. I don't think it's fair to make that assumption when you haven't even played any of those games to do a fair assessment on. Not to mention I bet at least half the guild you lead is into "anime bullshit".

So let me clarify some things here:

1. If you don't play consoles, then yeah, why buy it? If you just play PC games there is no point on buying ANY console, so I don't understand what you are getting at there. A lot of people will get good mileage from consoles. Since it's only $40 it's a bit stupid to limit yourself to just PCs when you can pretty much have the system pay for itself with 2 enjoyable games and you miss out on Playstation Flash Sales which are on the level of Steam Sales at this point.
2. If you already own a PS3/PS4, you probably have PS+ if you use it regularly. Owning a PS TV adds huge value to your PS+ subscription. If you own all 3 systems you get something along the lines of $10000 worth of games / year (it was actually around $13k last year) for a $50 / year value and sure you won't play or enjoy all those games, but it's I'm sure the system alone with PS+ attached to it will net you at least $50 worth of value a year.
3. It's not a handheld system. It's hooked up to your TV.

Do you even know what the PS TV is? It's just a system that plays Vita games hooked into your TV. I don't understand what you mean by cloud gaming, that's more a Microsoft thing. The only cloud feature Sony has is cross-play and the ability to upload saves to the cloud (an extremely useful feature especially with the Vita/PSTV).

Over 90% of the games are compatible with PS TV. The only important Vita exclusive you might miss out on is Gravity Rush. Newer retail Vita games and games in the PS Store list their PS TV compatibility as well. It's not really difficult to go to a website for the others. Overall, you won't miss out on much of the Vita's library with a PS TV over an actual Vita handle anyway and the only reason I would suggest getting a Vita over the PS TV is the portability, but if you could care less about being able to play games on plane trips, car rides (when you aren't driving), waiting, or having easy access to gaming while on vacation and such then that doesn't matter so the PS TV is a much cheaper option.

I listed reasons for getting the console, if you don't think those apply to you that's fine, I don't see a reason why you have to trash the system itself though.
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #4 by Grey Jorildyn
Grey Jorildyn replied the topic: Playstation TV only $39.99 at Gamestop
AH I see. I have confused this with the Playstation Vue service? Yeah looks like I did, so my apologies there.

You can like what you like. I mean no disrespect and you know me better than that! I tend to run in more mainstream circles cuz that's what I personally prefer by coincidence. No, half of NI does not like anime games lol I can name maybe 3 people that do out of our 30 some-odd members.

My point about the library stands. It is confusing to know what is available across the various PS services still. The value stance comes from knowing what it will offer and from that list it seems like for every 10 games, maybe 1 is worthwhile. It can offer 90% of the library for all those platforms but few are worth the time IMO of course. Maybe not to the demographic it's targeting though (which seems kinda clear to me is not me).

IGN seems to have a fairly objective write-up, although it is 7 months old, perhaps the hit-or-miss kinda stuff has changed. The overall functionality seems to be the same though. article -> www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/17/playstation-tv-review
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Grey Jorildyn.
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #5 by AIMonster
AIMonster replied the topic: Playstation TV only $39.99 at Gamestop
Vita's library is more consistent than Steam's library now and yes, the majority of the library isn't worth it, but the same could be said about any console really (I'd agree though the Xbox One and PS4 have a more consistent library than the Vita, but that will change over the console's lifetime IMO). I'd say the Vita has more consistently "fun" titles that the 3DS, which thrives off powerhouse titles (mostly Nintendo franchise games) and the rest of the library is almost utter crap. The Vita does lack a "killer app" though, aside from maybe Persona 4 Golden.

Most newer Vita games will have PSTV Compatibility. The only games that don't typically rely heavily on touchscreen gimmicks which aside from Gravity Rush I haven't see well done yet. I know out of the 3 games IGN listed that don't work for example, the only one I played I fucking hated and I don't understand why anyone would it enjoy that POS game. (Wipeout 2048).

Also one could seriously argue that Final Fantasy is an anime bullshit game, even though it might not be the typical "anime" artstyle it plays like one and the stories are very much cliche anime tropes.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by AIMonster.

Login

Event Calendar

Sun Apr 30 @ 7:00PM -
Podcast - Podcast #89
Mon May 01 @ 9:00PM - 10:00PM
Meeting - Officer Meeting

Servers